Scientists have given us another reason to eat carrots. A compound found in the popular root vegetable has been found to have an effect on the development of cancer
Falcarinol is a natural pesticide and fatty alcohol found in carrots. It protects roots from fungal diseases, such as liquorice rot that causes black spots on the roots during storage. It has been shown that falcarinol acts as a covalent cannabinoid receptor type 1 inverse agonist and blocks the effect of anandamide in keratinocytes, leading to pro-allergic effects in human skin. Preliminary research in animal models suggests that falcarinol may have a protective effect against certain types of cancer. Laboratory rats fed a diet containing raw carrots or isolated falcarinol were a third less likely to develop full-scale tumours induced by azoxymethane than those in a control group. A team of researchers, from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in England and Denmark, found the natural pesticide falcarinol reduced the risk of cancer developing in rats by one third.
Although experts have recommended that people eat carrots for their anti-cancer properties, it has not been know exactly what components of the vegetable has this effect. This research confirmed that polyacetylene may have more anti cancer properties than beta carotene. Falcarinol is a phytochemical that protects carrots from different types of fungal diseases. It is a non nutrients element that has powerful effects in deterring major illnesses.
The study results, published today in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemisty, are significant as they could contribute to healthy eating advice for consumers and recommendations for growers and may eventually aid the development of anti-cancer drugs.
- Acidosis: The vital organic alkaline elements in carrots help balance the blood acidity and blood sugar.
- Acne: Its powerful cleansing properties are effective in detoxifying the liver, thus overall effective for acne which is caused by toxicity of the blood.
- Anaemia: Carrot’s molecules are closest to human’s haemoglobin molecules, making it very beneficial in blood-building.
- Atherosclerosis: The highly cleansing power of this miracle juice scrubs away even the old build-up of arterial deposits, reducing the risks of heart diseases and stroke.
- Asthma: The anti-oxidants effectively protect the respiratory system from infections and free-radical attacks.
- Cancer: Studies show that adding one carrot per day in our diet significantly reduces cancer risks. Carrots contain falcarinol which is a natural pesticide and alpha and beta carotene which may help reduce a wide range of cancers including lung, mouth, throat, stomach, intestine, bladder, prostate and breast.
- High Cholesterol: Pectin in carrots lowers the serum cholesterol levels.
- Congestion: Carrot juice is very effective in dispelling mucus from the ear, nose and throat area, easing nasal congestion, sinusitis, bronchitis, phlegm and mucus in the throat and other similar disorders.
- Constipation: Take five parts of carrot juice with one part of spinach juice regularly to regulate chronic constipation problems.
- Emphysema: If you smoke or are exposed to second-hand smoke, taking carrot juice regularly may well save your life.
- Vision Impairments: Beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin are some of the finest nourishment that helps keeps the optic system in tip-top condition, with special protection against astigmatism, macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Infertility: One of the reasons for infertility is lack of nutrients and enzymes in your diet. Carrot juice taken regulary is able to nourish your body back to fertility.
- Inflammations: Its anti-inflammatory effect greatly helps reduce arthritis, rheumatism, gout and other inflammations.
- Immune Deficiencies: It does wonders for boosting the immune system by increasing the production and performance of white blood cells; building resitant to various kinds of infections (especially amoung older people).
- Skin Problems: The high quality Vitamin C and other rich nutrients in carrot juice efficiently nourish the skin, preventing dry skin, psoriasis and other skin blemishes like cigarette smoke and air pollution damage. Photosensitivity is also reduced through the beta-carotene which protects the skin from sun damage.
- Thread Worms: One small cup of carrot juice in the morning taken daily for a week can help clear up thread worms in children.
- Ulcers: The abundance of nutrients present in carrots helps nourish cells that have been starved of nutrients which result in ulcers.
- Water Retention: Carrot juice is diuretic and helps to eliminate excess fluids from the body, reducing water retention, especially for women during their monthly menstruation cycle and in pregnant women.